- I am personally located in Mississauga and am currently available for locums, part-time work, and private consultation.
- My former location for 30 years has been the Collingwood Chiropractic & Sports Injury Clinic located at 516 Hurontario Street, at the corner of 9th Street, in Collingwood, Ontario. 705 445-5401. **** Dr. Neil Patrick is now serving my patients at his office located at the Collingwood Chiropractor Office, #1 Huron Street, Suite 206, Collingwood, Ontario. This is at the north east corner of Huron and Hurontario Streets. As Dr. Patrick's practice philosophy and style is very similar to my own, I am sure Collingwood patients will continue to receive quality care.
DO YOU NEED A MEDICAL REFERRAL?
- You DO NOT need a medical referral to consult/visit a chiropractor in Ontario. A benefit of this is that chiropractors are free to work outside of the "medical umbrella" and are able to offer independent insight.
WHAT ARE MY FEES?
- Depending on the location, an initial visit is between $80 - $100, and a treatment visit between $40-$50.
WHAT HAPPENS AT YOUR FIRST VISIT?
- Your initial appointment includes intake, consultation, examination, referral for x-rays and further tests as necessary, diagnostic impression, and perhaps a treatment to get you started feeling better.
DO I TAKE X-RAYS?
- I prefer to order x-rays only as necessary, that is, to qualify a diagnosis or to rule out other complications.
- The taking of the X-rays is covered by OHIP (take your card with you), however, you may have to pay a modest out-of-pocket fee for their radiologist to read your films and provide a report. It is best to bring about $50 cash in case the lab does not have a debit machine. A report is typically sent to your physician. Most labs are able to provide you a CD immediately or may have you visit the lab in the next few days and they will turn the films/CDs over to you to bring into the office.
- If you wish to avoid the cost of the radiologist report, you can consider having your physician order the study. While this may save you out-or-pocket expense, you will likely need to make an appointment with your M.D. We can provide you a summary of your case outlining why an x-ray study is indicated.
- If you need an MRI or CT scan I would refer you to your physician. I can provide a letter of explanation if necessary. While there is no fee to you out of pocket, you're physician may not agree with the necessity of the study and waiting times for less critical issues can be months.
- Private advanced imaging is available. The advantage is that is can often be done within a week's time. The fees are currently about $800. I would discuss the prudence of such an expense as necessary.
WHAT’S HAPPENS NEXT?
- On your second visit we will discuss your diagnosis, that is, identify what is troubling you, how it came to be, and what we need to do about it. This usually involves laying out a treatment plan to get you the best results as quickly as we can. We usually do a treatment as well.
HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE UNTIL YOU ARE BETTER?
- That, of course, depends on your own particular problem. A new injury on a relatively fit individual will respond faster than an elderly person with long term issues. Many patients enjoy substantial relief on their first visit. However, in most cases, the acute/relief phase may require frequent visits over the course of several weeks to get through. It is to your advantage to consider your long term function and health rather than just pain relief. Longer term corrective care typically requires one or two visits per week over several months to a year. Please see "Do I need to keep coming back?" down below.
WHAT TYPE OF TREATMENT DO I USE?
- I use several modalities such as ultrasound, laser, and electro-stimulation. However, the mainstay of chiropractic is manipulation of the joints and tissues.
- I have recently introduced Acoustic ShockWave Therapy. For more information please link to my blog here or here.
HOW DOES MANIPULATION WORK?
- Essentially, it stretches the tissues around the joint to make it more flexible, helps re-position and normalizes the motion of the joint (corrects spinal misalignment). The immediate effect is better mobility and less pain.
- Normalizing the joint will also relieve pressure and irritation of nerves which itself is a major source of pain and impairs health.
IS MANIPULATION SAFE?
- About as safe as golfing and bowling... probably safer. The most dangerous part of a chiropractic adjustment (treatment) is getting to the office. If you have more specific questions or concerns than I can answer here, I can offer you a more details explanation, including references, in person. You are welcome to email me your question or schedule a consultation.
- Please review the article onInformed Consent to Chiropractic Treatment.
DOES IT HURT?
- Generally no. Treatments such as Laser Therapy or Ultrasound produce a pleasant warmth. Most people describe the feeling from electrotherapy as tingling, if not soothing. With manipulation therapy most people experience a tolerable, some even say pleasing, degree of pressure and stretching. It is much like cracking a knuckle. I liken a treatment to jumping into cool water. It is annoying to think about, but once done, it wasn’t so bad and ..... well worth the effort.
DO YOU NEED TO KEEP COMING BACK?
- That is up to you... please read on.
- There are typically three stages of care.
- In the initial relief stage, the goal is to get you free of pain and restore function as soon as we can. Treatments during the acute phase are often daily for the first week or two.
- By this time, you have entered the sub-acute correction phase. Treatment at this time is directed to repair damaged tissues. Please note that being out of pain does not necessarily mean the injury has resolved. Healing takes time and we must allow the living tissue to adapt to the corrections being made. Through this phase treatments may begin at three per week and gradually taper to weekly or every two weeks.
- The next phase is to strengthen and progress toward optimal function. Ongoing support care depends upon your condition. Some injuries are permanent. This does not mean that you are constantly suffering. In fact, many permanent injuries stabilize and can be managed quite well. However, it is to your advantage to consider your health a long term investment.
- Many patients appreciate the benefits of regular “maintenance” visits every two to four to six weeks. It feels good to feel good and it (YOU) are a worth the investment.
- Nonetheless, I will offer you my recommendations and why, so that you may make informed decisions. How long you chose to continue chiropractic therapy for any particular condition is always YOUR choice.
DOES OHIP COVER ANY OF THE COST?
- No. No part of chiropractic services are covered by OHIP.
DO WE ACCEPT PRIVATE INSURANCE?
- Each extended benefits policy has its own conditions. Our relationship is with you and not your insurer. In most cases, you pay us, we will assist with what ever paper work is necessary, and you then submit to your insurer for re-reimbursement. If your insurer agrees, we will take payment directly
I’M NOT SURE THAT CHIROPRACTIC CAN HELP ME!
- I’m not sure either. I do know that I can’t help you unless you discuss your concerns with me. If I believe I can help you, I will explain what is involved, and you can make up your own mind.
CAN I HAVE A NO COST CONSULTATION?
- It is my policy to offer a complimentary no cost or obligation consultation. After we have met and talked about your issues, you are free to continue with an initial visit (normal fees apply), or part with a handshake. No cost or obligation.
- Call the clinic of your choice (click here) and tell them you need a consultation appointment.
WHAT IS MY PHONE NUMBER?
Dr. Wayne Coghlan
(c) 705 446 7003